How to Prepare for the WKO
The World Knowledge Olympiad draws on a combination of South African, African and international facts as well as notable newsworthy events. Categories covered include:
- art and literature
- science and nature
- television and films
In terms of preparing for the World Knowledge Olympiad, reviewing past papers will give you a good feel for the type of questions asked.
To assist in preparing for the quiz, it is worth researching what significant events have taken place in each of the major categories over the past 12 months and making a note of key individuals or events that relate to these categories. Many of the questions will also draw on your broader general knowledge. It is also beneficial to consider what news sources you regularly interact with and to be more intentional about deepening your engagement in these areas. These sources could include newspapers, magazines, relevant social media channels or online news feeds.
Past papers and memos
What is required of the WKO contact teacher?
- Register your school to participate on Quicket
- Ensure payment for your entry is made by 2 October 2020
- Submit the details of the learners writing by completing this form and emailing it to email@example.com by 09h00 on 2 October 2020**
- Ensure each learner has received the link to the online quiz and their unique WKO code
- Alert WKO if the link and codes have not been received by 6 October 2020
- Advise learners of their results once these are received from WKO***
- Ensure learners have received their WKO certificates***
** Where individual learners’ email addresses and mobile phone numbers are provided to WKO on the form provided, the link to the WKO quiz and the learner’s unique WKO code will be delivered directly to the learner via email and SMS. A list of all learners’ codes will also be emailed to the contact teacher. Where individual learners’ contact details are not made available to WKO, the link and codes will be emailed to the contact teacher whose responsibility it then becomes to distribute the link and codes.
*** The same applies with results and certificates: where individual learners’ email addresses are provided to WKO, each learner will receive their result and digital certificate directly from WKO via email. A list of all their registered leaner’s results will also be emailed to the contact teacher. Where individual learners’ contact details are not made available to WKO, the results and certificates will be emailed to the contact teacher whose responsibility it then becomes to distribute them.